Catalyst Arts are pleased to announce an open-call for Saloon, a four(1) day long members shee-bang(2).
Like the inflated ego of a retired prison sponge we wish to overturn the idea of the old-fashion bourgeois saloon(3), made to amuse fur-trimmed women and respectably bearded men. We want(4) to see your most visionary, indecent, controversial, amazing and original(5) artwork, across our whole community of members(6). We want to fill(7) up the walls, the floor, the ceiling, the freshly unblocked toilet(8), the crevasses and cracks of this warehouses warped banshee spirit. Using the spleen and spew of your un-watered and malnourished careers, we will transform Catalyst Arts gallery into a huge wonderhammer.
Opening: 3rd September 6pm to 9pm
in conjunction with Belfast’s Late Night Art
Exhibition run: 3rd – 5th of September.
To be part of Saloon(9) all applicants must be a member(10) of Catalyst Arts.
(1) It’s really just three.
(2) Denotes anything that is ridiculously hot, eg. “Ruaidhri was so shee-banging in that install shot”.
(3) Hairlicious on Castle Street being an excellent example.
(4) Want maybe a tad extreme, forced by funders maybe more appropriate.
(5) You haven’t made anything original in years, why do you still lie to yourself?
(6) Two at our last time of counting, which is why we are doing this call-out.
(7) If the gallery is filled before you arrive, your work will be displayed around the city on this.
(8) To block it again so we can call out the hot plumber.
(9) For an Italian translation please see below.
(10) We are actually quite fond of all our members. They’re all beautiful, like a horse.
For more information on our membership see here: www.catalystarts.org.uk/membership/
Terms and Conditions
Each member is eligible to submit one piece of work in any medium. This must be brought or posted to the gallery and will be installed wherever they choose.
Because of the large amount of submissions annually received, the applicants must consider the following specifications: the maximum dimensions accepted for canvas and photographic prints are 2.50×2.50 meters, sculptures and installation must be not larger than 3 meters cubed.
We encourage members to submit proposals for performances, which will be featured during the opening. If you want to propose a performance, please send us an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a short text (150 words) and documentation (1 to 3 photo or a link to a video) of your work. The deadline for the submission for performances is 21st of August, 12 am.
If you wish to show a video, artists must provide all the technical equipment required (projector/screen, dvd player, headphones/speakers).
The drop-off for install will take place on the 1st and 2nd of September, from 11am to 5pm; and the 3rd of September, from 11am to 3pm. We will be unable to accept works outside of these times.
The de-install will take place the 7th of September, from 11am to 5pm. All work must be collected on this day.
If you have any questions or queries please send an e-mail to email@example.com
(9) Catalyst Arts è lietissima di annunciare Saloon, una roba della durata di quattro –anzi no, tre, SORRY – giorni. Vogliamo svecchiare l’idea del borioso salone-salotto borghese, luogo di intrattenimento per signore impellicciate e rispettabili signori hipster-barbuti. Vogliamo vedere i lavori più visionari, indecenti, controversi, sorprendenti e originali dell’intero gruppo dei cosiddetti “Members”. Con le vostre creazioni vogliamo tappezzare le pareti, il pavimento, il soffitto, la tavoletta del cesso, ogni crepa ed interstizio dello spirito tormentato che abita questo edificio. Facendo tesoro della malinconia e nausea che trasuda dalle vostre carriere di artisti falliti, trasformeremo Catalyst Arts in un’enorme wonderhammer.